January 15, 2011

Homeschool Graduation 2011

This post is certainly overdue! I’ve been very busy with college classes this week. As most of you know, I graduated from home school on January 3rd. It took a lot of work to put a wonderful program together to celebrate but it turned out lovely!

We decided to have a dinner in one of Willowbank Hotel’s lounges. We invited a few friends that I’ve known for years –friends that we knew would enjoy celebrating this wonderful occasion with us. Willowbank’s staff did a fabulous job decorating the lounge where the dinner was held. The table was set elegantly and the fireplace had such a cozy scent (and feel!).

graduationdinner

It was a beautiful program! Actually, it turned out much better than we even expected! We began with a selection of special music by my younger siblings and friends who are also home-schooled. The electricity went out just a few minutes after we began, but Willowbank’s staff brought in plenty of candles and flashlights. I’m glad that we lit the fireplace before the program began! It did give off some light! :p  Even though we didn’t plan to lose the electricity, we still went on with the program and had fun! It turns out that an electricity pole caught on fire down the street and the power had to be cut so they can properly repair it. The lights came back about 15-20 minutes later. Mom read a short speech that she prepared especially for the dinner before Dad presented me with my high school diploma and Mom gave me a lovely gift. :)

graduationdinner3

{Dad also had a few words to say before he gave me the diploma}

After receiving my diploma, I read my graduation speech and sang “Where He Leads Me” by Twila Paris.

graduationdinner4

Shortly following my solo, we began a delicious dinner prepared by Willowbank’s chefs. A dear friend of ours baked a tasty vegan cake and we purchased “vegetarian ice cream” for dessert that everyone enjoyed.

I really enjoyed my graduation dinner and I know that I formed special memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Here’s a copy of the speech that I delivered after receiving my diploma:

Good evening Family & Friends:

Thank you for joining us on this joyous occasion.

As I begin to look back on the past 11 years that I've spent studying in home school, I am humbled and amazed at the marvelous work that God has done both in my life and in the life of my family. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to Christ who blessed me with two, wonderful Christian parents and encouraged them to raise me and my younger siblings in a Godly home with a solid Biblical education. Time and time again, God has blessed my parents with both grace and strength to patiently teach me. Through each lesson, each semester, and every grade --all the way, He has been there uplifting my parents and giving them the strength, and sometimes even the courage to continue homeschooling us. I know beyond a doubt that without Christ it would've been impossible for my parents to tenderly raise me with the level of care, gentleness, and love that has been showered upon me for these past 16 years. Many times during my homeschool years, my family and I have faced seemingly insurmountable difficulties --trials that, looking back, we realize only made us stronger and increased our faith in Christ. And each time we've faced a trial, the Lord has brought us through. I know beyond a doubt that without Him and His grace; I wouldn't be standing here graduating from home school.
I am also forever grateful to my parents who have made countless sacrifices to homeschool my siblings and me. As you all know, it is not an easy thing to homeschool and live on one income in Bermuda. Yet, my parents have resolved to do the best they can in giving us a quality Christian education. On different occasions and in various ways, they have been tempted to quit providing us with a home education. And each time they've faced the temptation to give up, my parents have looked to Christ for strength and support. Together, they have set a wonderful example for me and my siblings. They’ve shown me what it means to be a true Christian ---what it means to always trust in Christ regardless of the circumstances or trials that may come our way. My parents have shown me what it really means to be committed to raising a family Biblically.
If someone was to ask me, "What are 3 things that come to mind when you think of your parents?" I would say patience, kindness, and confidence. Through the years that I've spent in homeschool, I've carefully watched my parents, and their examples of patience, kindness, and confidence are plentiful. When I didn't get that Math concept, or I didn't appreciate their help as I should have, or when I was unsure of myself, they showed me an amazing amount of patience and unwavering confidence.
So what have I learned on this homeschool journey? Well in addition to learning essential skills like Math and English, I've learned many priceless life lessons during these past 11 years –lessons that have left an indelible mark on my mind and will have a lasting impact on my life. Lessons of diligence, self-discipline, and contentment.

Being educated at home has given me the opportunity to learn much more than traditional “book knowledge”. I’ve learned important homemaking skills that will be helpful should it be God’s will for me to become a wife and mother someday. I’ve also been able to invest my time in nurturing my talents and pursuing many hobbies and interests such as singing, playing piano, guitar, and writing.

But my journey is far from over. Someone once said that life is a school –one that we never graduate from. So today we celebrate my completion of high school but I also remember that I’m simply closing one chapter of the textbook called “Life” and opening the next one. I still have so much more to learn. Next week, I will continue my formal education when I start classes at Bermuda College working towards a nursing degree. My primary goal in life is to glorify my Creator and do His will for my life. I’m determined to always do my work to the best of my ability so that I may reflect Christ.

I feel tremendously privileged to have been home schooled. I realize that many children will never have the opportunities that I have had. While I’ll always look back upon these years and think on the precious memories that I’ve made in homeschool, I’m also looking forward to using the knowledge and skill that I’ve learned to help others and most of all serve Christ.

Thanks to all of you that have encouraged me on this journey.

And thank you to all of you dear friends here on Blogger that have encouraged me over the past year. I wish I could’ve invited all of you to my graduation dinner!

I’m hoping to take some professional-style photos of my diploma soon so look out for those! :D

I hope you all have had a blessed week and are looking forward to this weekend. :p

Blessings,

eden signature 22

No comments: