June 7, 2010

Cashew Cheese

Mom has always enjoyed teaching my sisters and I how to cook healthy meals and I've grown to enjoy cooking. My family and I are vegan and we love working with natural foods to make delicious meals. One of my family's favorite recipes is cashew "cheese". It's a cheese substitute that we use quite often in many recipes that call for cheese. We use it for homemade pizza (recipe coming soon), macaroni and "cheese", lasagna casserole, on toast and much more! Yesterday I made pizzas for our family and took pictures while I cooked. Today, I'll share the "cheese" recipe and I'll post the pizza recipe later this week.

Cashew "Cheese"
Makes about 3 1/2 cups of cheese
Here's what you'll need:

6 oz. of cashews (whole or chopped)
1/2 cup of water
2 raw tomatoes, quartered
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
salt (to taste)
seasonings (your favorites)



Step 1: Blend the cashews and water until smooth. Depending
on your blender's speed, you may need to add a little more water.



Step 2: Add the tomatoes and blend again.



Step 3: Next, add the bell pepper, salt, and seasonings making sure
everything is blended smoothly. I usually add garlic, basil or thyme,
and turmeric. A bit of lemon juice is great too.


Step 4: When you're finished it should looking something like this:

Variations: We've used peanuts or almonds instead
of cashews. The flavor is slightly different but
both nuts make a great substitution.

Go ahead and give it a try and let me know how you enjoyed it! Hope you all are having a blessed week!
What is your family's favorite recipe? Share in a comment below!

Blessings,




P.S. I'm still looking for participants for the friendship afghans project which we hope to start on June 15th. If you're interested and would like to read more about it, please click here.

3 comments:

ScolioGirl said...

I have awarded you the sunshine blog award. You can accept it at

peaceonearthsomeday.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Hi Eden!

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I love comments!

I love that last picture of you on your "birthday post". You are very pretty, and I love the color of your skirt!

It sounds like your FA is going to be fun. I would love to join in, but I am SO busy at this point and don't think I would have time to put one together!! (I still haven't finished a quilt I started three years ago...that's how bad I am!!!)

Thank you for inviting me, though.

Love,
Rachel

Sarah said...

Hi Eden,

Wow, I've just found how to leave comments on your blog! How funny that I hadn't figured it out before today.

Just a quick introduction.

My name is Sarah and I have a blog called Radiant Raw and your father stumbled across it one day. He mentioned in one of his comments that you are an aspiring midwife and told me about your blog. I am a doula in Portland, Oregon and also an aspiring midwife. Birth is probably the most amazing thing there is and you couldn't have chosen a better profession.

Anyhu... I meandered by the other day meaning to leave a comment and introduce myself but couldn't figure out where to leave one! But I did today!

So, "Hello" and nice to meet you, and be'hatzlacha' (much success) in your endeavors to become a midwife.

If you are interested my Doula website is www.lovingarmsdoula.ws

By the way, that cheese looks like it could be quite yummy. In my Raw transition I haven't quite been able to enjoy those types of cheese yet, but I am starting a detox tomorrow, which should help get rid of the tastes of regular animal cheese so that I can enjoy nut cheeses.
Thanks for posting the recipe. I will have to try it out.