March 13, 2010

Saturday's Poem: The Song of the Sparrow

Recently, I've been reading through a good book of compiled Christian poems. These poems and quotes have been such a blessing to me. Many of them are by an unknown author or written anonymously but they never fail to strike a chord in my heart and leave me feeling refreshed. So every Saturday I'll share a favorite poem that encouraged me that past week. If a poem shared here blessed you or touched your heart, please leave a comment and let me know!

This week's poem has been a long-standing family favorite. Mother shared it with us when we were quite little and every time I see a sparrow, I think of this lovely poem.

The Song of the Sparrow

I'm only a little sparrow,
A bird of low degree;
My life is of little value,
But the dear Lord cares for me.

He gives me a coat of feathers--
It is very plain I know,
Without a speck of crimson,
For it was not made for show.

But it keeps me warm in winter,
And it shields me from the rain;
Were it bordered with gold or purple,
Perhaps it would make me vain.

And when spring time cometh,
I will build me a little nest,
With many a chirp of pleasure,
In the spot I love the best.

I have no barn or storehouse,
I neither sow nor reap;
God gives me a sparrow's portion,
With never a seed to keep.

If my meat is sometimes scanty,
Close pecking makes it sweet;
I have always enough to feed me,
And life is more than meat.

I know there are many sparrows--
All over the world they are found--
But our heavenly Father knoweth 
When one of us falls to the ground.

Tho' small, we are never forgotten;
Tho' weak, we are never afraid;
For we know the dear Lord keepeth
The life of the creatures He made.

I fly through city and country,
I alight on many a spray;
I have no chart or compass
But I never lose my way.

I just fold my wings at nightfall
Wherever I happen to be;
For the Father is  always watching
And no harm can come to me.

I am only  a little sparrow,
A bird of low degree;
But I know that the Father loves me,
Dost Thou know His love for thee?
~Author Unknown

Photo from Google Images

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, I love that, Eden!!
Thanks for sharing it. :)

Kelsianne said...

I loved it! Would you mind if I posted the poem on my blog sometime?
BTW, I love your new blogger background!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Jenna said...

Eden,

What a beautiful poem, and a wonderful reminder that God is always with us! Thank you for sharing, my dear friend.
May the Lord bless you and your family.

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna