March 20, 2010

Saturday's Poem: Spring

This poem is actually a hymn that has been a favorite of our family for several years.  The lyrics wonderfully capture the essence of spring and the refreshing feeling it brings.

Spring Has Now Unwrapped the Flowers

Spring has now unwrapped the flowers, day is fast reviving,
Life in all her growing powers towards the light is striving:
Gone the iron touch of cold, winter time and frost time,
Seedlings, working through the mould, now make up for lost time.


Herb and plant that, winter long, slumbered at their leisure,
Now bestirring, green and strong, find in growth their pleasure;
All the world with beauty fills, gold the green enhancing,
Flowers make glee among the hills, set the meadows dancing.


Through each wonder of fair days God Himself expresses;
Beauty follows all His ways, as the world He blesses:
So, as He renews the earth, Artist without rival,
In His grace of glad new birth we must seek revival.


Praise the Maker, all ye saints; He with glory girt you,
He Who skies and meadows paints fashioned all your virtue;
Praise Him, seers, heroes, kings, heralds of perfection;
Brothers, praise Him, for He brings all to resurrection!

 ~From Oxford Book of Carols

5 comments:

Moe said...

Great pem Eden! It reminds me of the time when Jesus came to earth to save us. The world was brown and ugly with sin and He helped us find a way out of that ugly brown!
Thanks for sharing.

Moe

Haley said...

Beautiful poem!

Jenna said...

Eden,

Thank you for sharing! What a beautiful hymn and a wonderful reminder to praise God with all our hearts, because He saved us!
The picture of the flower is lovely as well, my dear friend!

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Laura said...

What a beautiful poem Eden!!
My favorite verse is the last one!
I love the picture you have to go with it too! The colors are so vivid.
I just found your blog on kind of a rabbit trail. But I'm so glad I did!
I saw on your about me write up that you want to be a midwife. Right now I'm studying to be a doula right now and someday I'd like to be a midwife too!
Keep up the great work on the posts!
Blessings,
Laura

Laura said...

Hi Eden!
Thanks for visiting my blog!!
For my doula training I'm studying with Childbirth International www.childbirthinternational.com
You can study to be a Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator or Breastfeeding Counselor for there. I like it a lot because you can go at your own pace, its to too expensive, and it is available to women all of the world.
For the Aromatherapy course I study with The East West School of Herbal & Aromatic Studies www.theida.com
I take the distance course because the school is actually in another state.
The herbal courses I take come from Naturally Healthy by Shonda Parker www.naturlyhealthy.org
Shonda Parker is a christian so I like that the course is free from any weird stuff!
What about you? Where are you studying from or hope to study from? I'd love to here more about yourself and how the midwife stuff is going for you!!
Write soon!
Blessings,
Laura