February 13, 2010

God's Smuggler


It would be really hard to choose just one hobby to call my favorite. I enjoy doing so many things. :-) But one of my favorite hobbies is reading. Of all the books to choose from, I particularly enjoy reading missionary biographies the most because they tell of zeal for the Gospel, stories of courage, and reports of God's work in foreign lands.

One of my all-time favorite books (other than the Bible) is God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew. We found excerpts of it online then decided to purchase it so we can get the full story. I've read it from cover to cover several times and we have the read the book together as family at least once. We've enjoyed reading his book so much because it's filled with so much excitement and adventure. For example, here's one of my favorite quotes from the book, taken from chapter ten "Lanterns in the Dark": 

"Just ahead was the Yugoslav border. For the first time in my life I was about to enter a Communist country on my own...I stopped the little Volkswagen on the outskirts of the tiny Austrian village and took stock.
The Yugoslav government in 1957 permitted visitors to bring in only articles for their personal use. Anything new or anything in quantity was suspect because of the black market thriving all over the country. Printed material especially was liable to be confiscated at the border, no matter how small the quantity, because coming from out of the country, it was regarded as foreign propaganda. Now here I was with car and luggage literally bulging with tracts, Bibles, and portions of Bibles. How was I to get them past the border card? And so, for the first of many times, I said the Prayer of God's Smuggler:

Lord, in my luggage I have Scripture that I want to take to Your children across the border. When You were on earth, You made blind eyes see. Now, I pray, make seeing eyes blind. Do not let the guards see those things You do not want them to see.

And so, armed with this prayer, I started the motor and drove up to the barrier."

If you've read this book before, I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did.  It's full of stories of modern-day miracles, the work of God in then-Communist countries, and the spreading of the Gospel. If you haven't read this book before, please look into purchasing it. You won't regret doing so!

Blessings,


4 comments:

Jenna said...

Eden,

I have never read this book before, although I've heard that it is wonderful! I will have to look into it! Thank you for the recommendation!

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Anna said...

I was just reading different blogs and came across yours. I agree God's Smuggler is a must read. It is one of my favorite books... the example of Brother Andrew has inspired me in my life.
Peace,
Anna

Taylor said...

This is one of my favorite books to read as well!! I'm glad you posted about it. :) I love it!

Blessings,
~Taylor

Lacy said...

Hi, Eden!

I've never read this book before, but from the excerpts you gave it sure sounds like it would be a great read!

Blessings to you!
~ Lacy
A Godly Maiden