February 28, 2010

Trip to the ER

We had lots of rain on Thursday and I slipped and fell forward on some slippery tile outside. I felt fine until the next morning when I woke up and my wrist was very sore! I went to my doctor Friday afternoon and he suggested I wait until Saturday and see how it is then. Well, yesterday morning my wrist and fingers were swollen and still sore so Dad took me into the ER.

In the ER, they took several x-rays but it didn't show any problems. The doctor told us that wrist fractures may not show up on x-ray for weeks so it's difficult to diagnose. Because they aren't sure if it's fractured or even broken, they put my wrist in a splint and told me to keep it immobile until Thursday when I will see the orthopedic surgeon. He'll probably take more x-rays and decide what the next step will be. In the meantime, I can't knit, crochet, go cycling, or even type on the computer with both hands! I'm praying that it's just a sprain although several websites say that a scaphoid fracture is easily confused with a sprain. The recovery time for a fracture can be weeks and if they have to put a cast on it, it'll be much longer!


Obviously, I won't be able to make any progress on either the Hanover hat or the baby throw. :(  Hopefully, I'll be back into the swing of things sooner than expected. Please continue posting about your progress; I'd love to see pictures of how everyone else is doing! Here's a video Sara took of me working on a square for the baby throw several days before I fell:


In reply to several comments, I use an Olympus Camedia camera. It has a really great macro feature that allows me to take high quality photos of small objects. You can also take 15sec video clips but it doesn't record sound. The camera actually belongs to my Dad and he uses it for his architecture business but he kindly lets me use it to take pictures for my blog. Thanks Dad! :-)

Hope you all have a blessed week!

5 comments:

Marissa said...

I'm sorry, Eden! I'll be praying for you wrist to heal very quickly!
Neat video! You're really fast! :)
~Marissa

Taylor said...

I'm sorry to hear about that, Eden! I hope your wrist starts feeling better soon!! It must be difficult getting used to using only one hand. I'll be praying that it heals quickly! :)

Oh, and those flower pictures you took in the previous post are gorgeous! I love them!!

Blessings,
~Taylor

Moe said...

What a bummer about your wrist Eden! Hope you'll get better soon

blessings
FnGg

Lindsay said...

Awww... I'm sorry about your wrist, Eden! I hope it'll heal quickly! :) Oh, and thanks for answering the question about your camera. ;)

~ Love,
Lindsay

Jenna said...

Oh, my! I am so sorry about your wrist, Eden! I will definitely be praying for you.
May the Lord bless and heal you! :)

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

P.S. I enjoyed watching the short video!