September 17, 2010

Hurricane Preparations

Hurricane Igor is still on track to hit us directly as aIMGP5381 Category 3 hurricane  this weekend. It’s been 7 years since a major hurricane has come ashore to Bermuda. In September 2003 Hurricane Fabian hit our island, tragically taking the lives of four people and causing millions of dollars in damage. Our local Government and Weather Service has forecasted that Hurricane Igor will be just as bad or worse than Fabian.

{today’s edition of our local newspaper ----^}

IMGP5363

 

So these past two days or so I’ve been busy helping my family prepare for the storm. We’ve been stocking up on non-perishable, ready-to-eat foods like canned fruits and veggies, crackers, and lots dry cereal.


Dad also purchased a couple of flashlights and plenty of candles.
This morning, Jude and I went and did a little shopping in the village. We picked up some first aid supplies and took some “before” photos of our neighborhood.

IMGP5235

IMGP5239  {Mom’s battery-operated radio will help keep us updated during the storm}

IMGP5301 
{Mangrove Bay just near our home was already looking gloomy this morning}

The worst of the weather is predicted to take place close to midnight on Sunday night –just on the eve of Yom Kippur or Day of Atonement which our family will be observing from sunset on Sunday until sunset on Monday.

We’ll likely lose power sometime Saturday night as we’re expecting tropical force winds to begin tomorrow evening. When the power goes out, we’ll lose our internet service as well and I won’t be able to keep all of you updated. :( When hurricane Fabian hit us, the electricity company took nearly 3 weeks to restore power to our neighborhood but I’m really hoping that we won’t have to wait nearly as long this time around.

My siblings and I plan to keep ourselves happily occupied with puzzles, games, and lots of books. Of course, I’ll be knitting and crocheting too. ;)

IMGP5344

 

This afternoon, I was able to mail 10 of the 25 postcards that need to be mailed to everyone who left a comment on my 150th blog post. I’m planning to mail the rest as soon as I’m able to. :-)

 

This weekend, please remember to keep my family and I in your prayers. And I appreciate every prayer that’s offered up on our behalf!

Blessings to all of you…I’ll be back to update you as soon as I can!
Edensig 

P.S. Monday is my 1 year blogoversary and I’ve finished writing a post with details and a GIVEAWAY and scheduled for it to be posted Monday. So y’all will still have something to read here on my blog!

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, sweetie! Know I am keeping you in my prayers and my family is as well!!!!! You probably won't have time to read this, but I'll be praying little damage is done to your village and that the Lord protects you and your family and keeps you all safe!

Lot's of love and big, BIG HUGS from your state-side friend!!!

And congrats on your blogiversary! ;) That's wonderful! You have been SUCH a dear blessing to me since we've met! :D

Blessings to you!
~Rachel~

Taylor said...

We will be praying, praying, praying for you all Eden! It sounds like your family is well prepared. ;) I can only imagine how scary a storm like that must be! Since my family doesn't live too close to any borders we aren't typically affected by hurricanes. --It's the tornadoes we have to watch out for! ;) AnYwAy. . . Like I said, we'll certainly be praying for you throughout the weekend ahead. Trust in the Lord with all your heart!! <3

Much love,
--Taylor--

PS: I just thought I would let you know that my dad isn't doing very well again. We're afraid a new lesion is growing because he's experiencing several different symptoms. A home health care service is supposed to come give him IV steriods within the next couple of days. We're praying that takes care of all the problems and that he doesn't end up in the hospital again! Anyway, I thought you might like to know now since it's likely your internet might be going out soon, and so you can send up a quick prayer too if you feel led. :) Have a safe weekend, dear friend!

Jenna said...

Oh, dear friend! I will most definitely be praying for you and your family, that the Lord will keep His loving and protective arms wrapped around you.
><> ><> ><>
Jesus is with you!!

Love and Blessings,
Jenna

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family!

Cassia said...

I'll be praying for you and your family!



~Cassia :D

Unknown said...

I'll be praying for you Eden! Its so wonderful knowing we are in God's hands...
Btw-I LOVE....I mean LOVE your new blog layout and ?style?. I would totally copy it. :)
Knitting wise-I think I have about 8 hats...just so you know in case the hurricane takes your internet away before I need to mail them.
God bless,
Melanie

Allison said...

Hello Eden!
I'll be praying. Looks like ya'll are prepared! : )

Blessings!

Love,
Allison

Haley said...

I'm praying for y'all!

Shelley said...

I will definitely pray for safety for you and your family! Looks like you are all well prepared! :)

And I am looking forward to your blogoversary post!

Emily Nicole said...

Eden,

I know I've already told you this, but I just want to tell you again. I am praying for you through this time and I will keep you in my heart. I'm so thankful for our friendship and I can't wait to hear from you again.

Much Love,
Emily (Em)

Eldarwen said...

It sounds like you and your family are doing a good job at preparing for the tropical storm. I'm praying that y'all will be safe and there won't be any severe damage!

I love your new blog look! So cute! :)

Love,
Eldarwen

Kate said...

You'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend Eden!

Brooke O'Shea said...

Eden, we will be praying for you guys! Stay safe and hope to hear back from you soon!
Through Christ,
LH

Lydia said...

I will definitely keep praying for you, that our loving Savior will keep you and your family safe. I will be looking for updates.

Lydia

P.S. How do you get rid of the border from around the pictures on your blog?

Jenna said...

You and your family are in my prayers, Eden, and I will go post a prayer request on On Bent Knees for you all as well:)

Praying that you will not be harmed in any way, dear friend~

Hugs from Michigan,
Jenna

Grace said...

I am definitely keeping you in my prayers, dear Eden. You are such a sweet young lady, and I do hope the Lord protects and blesses you, your family, and home.
Much Love and Blessings from a Sister in Christ,
~Grace~

Nancy said...

I'm keeping you, your family and your lovely island in my prayers. It looks as if you're well prepared for the power to go off. Do you have a safe place to go when Igor hits?