July 7, 2010

Crocheting, Cooking, and Sewing

Between crocheting, sewing, and having fun in the kitchen I've been quite busy lately. Yesterday, I put the finishing touches on the 9-Patch Baby Throw that I had started for the knit/crochet along that I hosted in February. But soon I had to put the project on hold because I broke my arm. Anyway, I'm really glad it's finally done.

I love the pink and cream together!

Lovely squares!

I added a thin edge in alternating colors!
While I do pretty well with crocheting and cooking, I haven't quite mastered the art of sewing. :-) Actually, I'm just beginning to learn how to sew. Sure, I've made a couple of skirts and an apron but nothing particularly complicated. :-) The next project I'd like to sew is a jumper dress. I haven't decided on a pattern...maybe I won't use one at all, but before I start I thought to ask you all for some tips. If you are good at sewing, please leave a tip or two in the comments section that you think I'd find helpful when sewing my jumper dress. General sewing pointers would be appreciated too! :-) I already have lots of fabric for the project and have an idea on how I'd like it to look but not sure how to make it all come together. :-)

How are you all doing with your friendship afghans? One of our participants, Melody at Vivdry, had to pull out because she has other projects she needs to finish before she starts college later this year. In order for us to continue, we need a new participant to take her place. If we can't find anyone else who's interested we won't have enough squares to trade and will have to make and assemble our own squares. :( So if you think you might like to join us, please click here for the guidelines and other information. Then leave a comment so I can put your name on the list of participants.

Hope you all are having a blessed day!

11 comments:

Brooke O'Shea said...

Oh, dear, did my last comment not come through?
Ah well, I would love to join you guys! That is if you will have me.
Your afgan is lovely, Eden!

Taylor said...

I love the blanket, Eden. Those colors really are beautiful together! :) I'm glad you were able to finish this project!

Blessings,
~ Taylor

Eldarwen said...

Wow, Eden! The baby throw is beautiful!! =D You did a really good job, and I like the colors together, too. ;)

I would give you some tips, if I were any good at sewing. I've only made purses, pillows, and small blankets. Like you said, nothing big and complicated. :) I did make my own dress one time, but my grandmother helped me with it, so it wasn't all my handywork. Plus, it's been a few years since then.... :)

I hope your jumper turns out nice! Wouldn't that be so cool to wear something and know that you made it with your own two hands? I always love that feeling! :)

Thanks for praying for my dad, Eden!

Love in Christ,
Eldarwen

Rachel said...

Aww, it came out beautiful Eden! :D Love the colors and the added border you put on...it's so sweet! :) Great job my dear! :D

I've completed all my squares already...I had some time and was having a lot of fun working on them so just kept going until I was done! ;)

I like to use Simplicity 5917 pattern for my jumpers. It's pretty easy to make...the hardest part being around the neckline and armholes (but still not too hard). ;) I don't know if that is something you had in mind or not, and you'd have to get it from ebay or amazon or something like that as it's discontinued now. :( But I love it and have mamde several jumpers with this pattern. I even added my own pocket to the inside seam. :)

I don't really have much advice for you in the sewing..I'm still working on getting better at that myself actually. ;) I can sew pretty well, and know some harder things like darts and shaping things, but the execution of those is rather sloppy sometimes and making it come out to actually "fit" me when I'm done has been rather hard. :P So, that is something I am working on too. :)

I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy working on your jumper! Can't wait to see it! ;) The only advice I have is take your time and have fun. If you feel stressed or discouraged, then just take a break and do some crocheting. ;) HeHe! Then you can come back to it in a little bit and work on it again (but don't leave it for too long, or you might not get it finished!). :)

Love and Hugs!
~Rachel~

P.S. - I'll be sure to spread the word in my Friday link-up and my FB page that your looking for another participant for the friendship afghan. :)

~Desiree~ said...

The baby blanket it just adorable! Where did you get the pattern from???

Shelley said...

I am a new follower. I like your blog! :) Come check out mine!

Beautiful blanket! If I were a baby I would love to have that! Great to hear you are challenging yourself by taking on a harder, new sewing project.

Jenna said...

Eden,
The baby throw you crocheted is just beautiful! You did a fantastic job on it... Well done, dear friend!
As for sewing, I prefer to use the Simplicity patterns. They are quite simple, just as the name says! :) I haven't sewed anything very complicated either. I've sewed some aprons, some skirts, and a couple other things! I'm sure your jumper will turn out lovely!
Have a delightful day, dearest Eden!

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Unknown said...

Desiree~I got the pattern from Lion Brand's website. It has a wonderful "library" of over 2,000 free knit and crochet patterns and I visit their website often. The pattern for the blanket is "9-Patch Baby Throw".

Shelley~ Welcome to my blog! I'm glad to have you here. :-)

Thanks friends for all your sewing tips! I'll have to check out Simplicity.

~Desiree~ said...

Thank-you for answering my question! I will check out the website:)

Moe said...

Your blanket looks great! You did a really nice job. And you kept at it too!

Moe

Seven Sisters said...

I agree with Jenna...Simplicity is pretty easy! We have a lot of those :D McCalls is pretty good, too, if I remember right!

I love, love, love your afghan! That is so pretty (and I love pink!).

Thanks so much for commenting on our blog...we really enjoy reading them all! :D Especially with the whole thing with "Fred" going on :D

Have a great day!

Jessica