July 4, 2010

Three Top Tips

Melody over at Vivdry is encouraging everyone to post three tips that would be helpful to a beginner blogger. This is a brilliant idea and I hope that my pointers would help someone starting out!

{1} Try to avoid cluttering your blog with too many blog buttons and widgets. While buttons make a great addition to any blog and help you advertise your friends' blogs, too many will make your sidebars look crowded and will be distracting to your readers.

{2} Always re-read and preview your blog post before hitting "publish"! While the handy Blogger spell-check feature gets most spelling errors, it doesn't highlight grammatical errors so you will need to read through each post to make sure it says what you intend! While you're looking over your post, click on "preview" to see how the post will look on your blog. I've found this really helpful because sometimes pictures won't fit or look skewed if they aren't placed correctly in the blog post.

{3} To get more readers and meet people who would enjoy visiting your blog, visit blogs that have similar interests and values to yours. Leave a comment, introduce yourself, and (if you want to) become a follower. Visit the blogs you follow often and comment on the posts you enjoyed reading. After all, most bloggers love learning more about their readers and will probably visit your blog too!

Did you find these tips helpful? Is so, let me know! Thanks again for hosting this, Melody!

5 comments:

Moe said...

Thank you Eden! I'll have to keep those in mind... do you think my blog is 'cluttered'? I just need some opinions here!

Moe

Jenna said...

Wonderful tips, dear friend! Thank you for sharing! :)

Brooke O'Shea said...

Thanks, Eden! I Think I will have to work on my blog being too cluttere; what do you think?
Again, thank you!
Through Christ,
LH

Abounding Treasures said...

Thanks Eden for #2 ~ in reading my blog this morning I noted that I had left in a properly spelled word that was NOT needed where it was ~ I should have proof-read more carefully yesterday :o)

By the way, thanks for the lovely comment you took the time to leave!

Blessings ...

Unknown said...

Moe ~ I don't think your blog is too cluttered. However, you might want to think about removing a few widgets as too many also make your blog load slower. :(

Lady Helen ~ No, your blog isn't cluttered. :-) But you should look into getting a page on your blog just for blog buttons and awards. You can check out mine for an example!

Blessings!