July 5, 2010

Date and Coconut Bars

As promised, here's the recipe for the snack bars I mentioned in Friday's post. I made this recipe after some experimenting in the kitchen. We all enjoy eating them and think your family would too!

To start, here's what you'll need:

1 bag of pitted dates (8oz. or about 30 dates)
1/3 cup of carob powder
2/3 cup of coconut flakes (unsweetened)
1/2 cup of rice milk
1 cup of mixed nuts (grounded)
1/4 cup of coconut flakes (for garnishing)

Step 1: Place dates in a small pot and add water to (just enough to cover the dates halfway). Boil for about 5mins.

Step 2: Allow the dates to cool for a bit before placing them in the blender. Add 1/2 cup of milk (I used rice milk) and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Step 3: Without using water, blend the mixed nuts to make them a bit smaller than your regular "chopped nuts".

Step 4: Mix blended dates and carob powder thoroughly. Then add the mixed nuts and the 2/3 cup of coconut flakes. Again, mix the ingredients together until they are completely mixed.

Step 5:  Place the mixture in a 9" x 13" dish and even it out with the back of a spoon. Add the 1/4 cup of coconut on top making a garnish.


Step 6: Place in fridge at least 2 hours to cool and set. I usually leave mine in overnight.

Step 7: Once it is finished "setting", remove from fridge and cut into bars!

These are great for dessert after a hearty lunch and they add a tasty touch to a light evening supper. Go ahead, give them a try! Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

It looks delicious dear friend! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Moe said...

YUM!

Love Abounds At Home said...

It looks delicious :)

Lexie said...

Hi Eden just found your blog and I will be a frequent reader my blog is fairly new so feel free to stop by anytime =)
-Lexie

Rachel Beth said...

I feel like making these right now! It looks so good! Thanks for sharing. :)
God bless.

Unknown said...

Lexie ~ Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm happy you love my blog. :-) I'll be visiting your blog too! Blessings!