August 15, 2010

Easy Craft Patterns

My dear Mom and I learned how to knit together when I was 9 years old. We found a “learn-to-knit” kit one day while browsing through a craft shop. Mom had been wanting to learn how to knit for quite a while herself so we had a lot of fun learning how to knit together. But it was also challenging at times, and Mom had to persuade me more than once to keep working at it. Once I learned though, I couldn’t stop! Since then, I’ve always had a knitting project or two in progress. :-)

A few years after learning how to knit, I picked up a learn-to-crochet book with special instructions for lefties! (Yes, I’m left-handed!). Learning to crochet proved a bit more difficult for me. Several times I put the book away, and then picked up again once I was ready to try once more. But eventually I got the hang of it, and have been “hooked” ever since. :-)

I’m glad that I’ve had the opportunity to learn how to do both crafts. And recently I noticed that many of my Blogger friends have just begun to learn how to knit or crochet. As a beginner I remember searching for easy patterns –small projects that I could start and finish without having to look at the how-to book! So for all my beginner friends out there, I’ve done a bit of searching for you. I must admit first that I’m a bit biased when it comes to pattern websites. In my humble opinion, Lion Brand is the best website for free knitting and crocheting patterns. And here is just a sample of the many great patterns I think beginners would enjoy:

einsteinhat

Crochet: Einstein Hat

Skill Level: Easy+

What’ll You Need: 1 ball of Homespun Yarn and a size N13 crochet hook

This hat is great for a beginning crocheter. You don’t need to do any increases or decreases. Just crochet a rectangle and sew it up!

~~~

Knit: Simple Garter Hatsimplegarterhat

Skill Level: Beginner

What You’ll Need: 1 ball of Fisherman’s Wool Yarn and size 9 (5.5mm) needles

Similar to the crochet pattern above, you only need to know the knit stitch to make this adorable hat. Simply follow the directions to knit a rectangle and sew up the sides!

~~~

blockscarf

Crochet: Block Scarf

Skill Level: Beginner

What You’ll Need: 2 balls of Vanna’s Choice Yarn and a size J-10 crochet hook

Surely you could make this one! Just crochet 6 squares on one color and 5 of the second color. Then sew each square together! Voila –a new scarf!

 

~~~

Knit: Smokey Ridge Scarfsmokeyridgescarf

Skill Level:  Beginner

What You’ll Need: 4 balls of Vanna’s Choice yarn and size 9 (13mm) needles

This knitted scarf pattern is also great for beginners! And it works up quickly because you use 2 strands of yarn instead of 1! Just follow the directions to cast on and knit until it reaches your desired length!

~~~

Next week, I’ll feature a few easy patterns you might find handy of you want to make baby throws and kitchen items!

Have questions about the patterns shared here? Just drop me a line here and I’ll try to lend you a helping hand. :-)

Have fun and happy crafting!

Edensig 

**In my next post, I’ll be introducing you to Bermuda –the island where I live.**

7 comments:

Eldarwen said...

You're left handed? I am too!! I don't know how to knit, but I always wanted to learn. :) Everyone says it's pretty easy. :)

Love,
Eldarwen

Amanda said...

Neat! I should learn how to knit - maybe then I could use one of these, since they look pretty simple.
~Amanda

Hannah grace said...

Thanks for the patterns,i like to knit and crochet but i some times get a little tired of it.i am making a baby blanket for one of my friends!(her baby,not her.i really don't crochet to much.but i like to knit.

Eden said...

Hi, my name is Eden too.
I just found your blog by accident and realised that we have the same name!!!!!!!!
and when I read your post I was surprised that I am left handed too, my grandmother started to teach my sister and I to knit my sister dose it and I lost interest because I prefer to do crocheting .
But might do some sometime this year.
God bless
Eden.

Rachel Beth said...

How nice that you and your mom learnt to knit together! :)

Kelsianne said...

Hi Eden!
I don't know how to crochet-I'm hoping to learn though-but I do know how to do very simple knitting. I've only ever made scarves...
BTW, I love your background!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I tagged you!
~Desiree~